The College of the Marshall Islands, a community college located in the warm central Pacific six degrees north of the Equator on Majuro atoll, seeks a qualified person to join our faculty. The College of the Marshall Islands is the national college of the Republic of the Marshall Islands and seeks to be the role model for community colleges in the Pacific region.
College of the Marshall Islands invites applications for a full-time English Instructor to teach courses beginning Fall 2012.
Position – Developmental English Instructor
The selected candidate will join the Developmental Education Department and teach English language courses in some combination of listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in an ESL environment. The selected candidates may also teach in the First Year College Experience program. There are also opportunities to develop and shape new courses in areas of expertise.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Teaching 12 credits per semester
- Designing, implementing and helping with faculty mentoring for professional development
- Student advising
- Supervision of tutorial services
- Student placement testing
- Community service in areas of expertise
- Participation in on-going assessment and alignment of courses/programs and services
- Providing services in support of ongoing advancement of the Developmental Education program
- Opportunity to do research
• A Master's Degree in developmental education with specialization in English instruction, speech and communications, special education. Preference will be given to candidates with TESL/TEFL certification and teaching experience that incorporates best practices in the classroom and overseas experience.
Salary and Benefits Offered at the College of the Marshall Islands:
- USD$ 25,000 to $33,515. Salary placement is depending upon relevant education, training and experience.
- Two-year initial contract
- Transportation from the point of hire to the Marshall Islands
- Moving allowance of $2,000
- Up to $9,000 housing allowance
NOTE: RMI Income Tax. Personal income taxes are applicable to all persons employed in the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the tax rates being 8% for the first US$10,400 in wages and 12% thereafter.
RMI Social Security Tax. Participation in the Marshall Islands Social Security (MISSA) is mandatory for Employees of the College. MISSA coverage provides for retirement benefits and basic health insurance benefits. A total of 10.5% (7% for retirement and 3.5% for health insurance) of gross wages is deducted on the first $5,000 in wages per calendar quarter.
USA Income Tax. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing US income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside. As a US citizen working in the RMI you would qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion. The exclusion is indexed for inflation and is $92,900 in 2011.
It is recommended that applicants check with their financial or tax advisors for details of tax liability in their home country.
We will accept applications for the position until filled. Applicants must submit:
* CMI employment application (found at the CMI jobs website www.cmi.edu  )
* Cover letter
* Statement of Teaching Philosophy
* Evidence of teaching effectiveness
* Unofficial transcripts
* 3 Professional references
The College of the Marshall Islands is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The College of the Marshall Islands requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
- College of the Marshall Islands (CMI), January 25, 2012