Articles: Introduction to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Huayu (Mandarin) Enrichment Scholarship (HES)
To encourage students and individuals from countries that have diplomatic relations with the Republic of China to undertake Mandarin study in Taiwan, the ROC Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) established the MOFA Huayu (Mandarin) Enrichment Scholarship (MOFA HES) Program in 2010. The MOFA HES aims to promote friendship between peoples of ROC (Taiwan) and its diplomatic allies as well as give the recipients a better understanding and appreciation of Taiwan’s culture.
1. The monthly stipend is NT$25,000 (approximately US$862). Recipients should study Mandarin at a Mandarin training center affiliated with a university or college accredited by the ROC Ministry of Education. The centers are to remit the scholarship to the recipients no later than the tenth day of each month, and assume that the recipients maintaining good attendance and academic performance records.
2. One economy-class, direct-route round trip international airfare ticket will be provided.
III. Duration of Scholarship
1. Duration: between six months (minimum) and 1 year (maximum).
2. Award periods
(1) The yearly award period is from September 1 of the beginning year through August 31 of the following year. Failing to undertake the study in Taiwan during this period will result in the cancellation of the recipients’ award status.
(2) Recipients should arrive and enroll for the study term/quarter at the Mandarin training center as specified in the MOFA HES. Recipients may defer their matriculation if the case first approved by the related Mandarin training center and MOFA, nonetheless, the award period expires on August 31 of the following year.
(3) In the event that a recipient arrives late in Taiwan due to the completion of the application processing, he/she will start receiving the stipend from the month of their enrollment at the mandarin center in Taiwan.
3. In the event that a recipient quits the program or is expelled, or the scholarship is revoked, the recipient will no longer receive the scholarship.
The applicant must meet all of the following criteria:
1. Be 18 years of age or older, possess a high school diploma or above, perform well at his/her most recent academic institution and be of good moral character;
2. Is not an ROC national;
3. Does not have the status of being an ROC overseas compatriot student;
4. Is not currently a registered student at any Mandarin training center and never has been a degree-seeking student at a university or college in Taiwan;
5. Is not an exchange student in accordance with an academic cooperation agreement between an overseas university/college and an educational institute in Taiwan at the time of receiving the MOFA HES;
6. Has never received an award under this scholarship program, the Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship or the Taiwan Scholarship Program;
7. Is not a recipient of any other scholarship or subsidy offered by the ROC government or any other educational institutions in Taiwan at the time of receiving the MOFA HES.
VI. Application and Selection Process
1. Application regulations and selection process: Applicants must submit their completed application (with necessary documents required) to the Embassy of the Republic of China (Taiwan) by 23 May 2012. The ROC (Taiwan) Embassy will inform the applicants of details regarding the further selection process.
2. Application documents: The applicant should send the following documents to the nearest ROC embassy in his/her home country:
(1) One copy of the completed application form;
(2) One photocopy of the passport or other certificates proving nationality;
(3) One photocopy of the highest-level diploma received and transcript;
(4) Supporting admission application materials (e.g. photocopies of application forms for Mandarin training centers); and
(5) Any additional documents specified by the relevant ROC embassy.
VII. Suspension and Revocation
(1) If a recipient is absent from his/her language classes for 12 hours or more within a single month for reasons other than medical and critical reasons, the stipend will be suspended for one month.
(2) Beginning from the second term/quarter of his/her study in Taiwan, a recipient must earn an average score of 80 out of 100 or have the stipend suspended for one month.
(3) Recipients must submit their TOP (Test of Proficiency-Huayu) score transcripts to the institutions where they are studying within their award period. It should be noted that the test level will depend on the teacher's suggestion of test taker based on their in-class performance. Recipients who fail to do so will lose one month's stipend. Recipients have to pay their own fees for TOP.
(1) A recipient will have his/her remaining stipend (if any) cancelled and be permanently disqualified from receiving another MOFA HES, should one of the following situations arise:
Fail to submit at the registration for each study term a photocopy of his/her Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) with the reason "Pursuing Studies" by the deadlines as specified by his/her Mandarin training center.
Fail to achieve an average score of 80 or above (out of 100) for two consecutive terms/quarters of study, beginning from the second term/quarter of his/her study in Taiwan.
Fail to earn a final score for any study term/quarter, unless for serious medical reasons.
Drop out or be expelled from their institutions, violate R.O.C. laws, receive major demerits.
Concurrently receive one or more other scholarships / subsidies from an ROC governmental or educational institution.
(2) If a recipient withdrawals or is expelled from school, the Mandarin training center should immediately suspend the scholarship and notify MOFA in writing of the cancellation of the recipient’s award. A photocopy of the correspondence then will be sent to the Scholarship Office, the Bureau of Consular Affairs, National Police Agency, National Immigration Agency, the ROC embassy and the recipient.
(3) Should the authorities discover that a student has been receiving two (or more) scholarships or subsidies at the same time, the student will not only lose the remainder of the MOFA HES, but also be required to return the part already disbursed.
VIII. Transfer of Schools
Transfer criteria: Transfer of Mandarin Training Center is not allowed.
- Republic of China (Taiwan)